Exclusive Interview with the 2-Time H.O.D of Accounting department, Ambrose Alli University!

HelloπŸ€—

It's been a while, but it's great to be back
Happy New Year!
The first official interview from sallyzizi to you is with a delectabe individual, a man with integrity, firm but subtle at heart, one who loves impacting knowledge, father to many, head of Accounting department, AAU, Dr Iawrence Ibadin, B.Sc Accounting  (1995) UNIBEN, MBA (1998) UNIBEN, MSc Accounting  (2006) UNILAG, PhD (2014) UNIBEN, the list goes on.
So sit back as we take a tour into his world.



Name: Dr Lawrence Ayemere Ibadin
Date of birth: 7th June 1969


Tell us a bit more about yourself 

I'm a lecturer in accounting department, faculty of management science, Ambrose Alli University. By the grace of God, I'm the current head of staff, I'm running my second tenure. I'm aspiring in the next promotion to be an associate professor.


What do you think is the difference between studying back in your days and studying in this modern age?


Well now there is more technology, like phones, computer, where you can easily browse at the confines of your room and learn, but in those days, these facilities were not there, bet another thing is those days, students were more serious compared to these recent times, because students no longer have that zeal, due to one, the unfavourable economy, where you graduate and likely not get a job. The fear is there and also discouraging to the students. Well by and large, there are more improvements in this present days (smiles)

What prompted you to choose accounting as your field of study?

Well right from the on set, I have always liked calculations, and I also felt like contributing my quota. As a matter of fact, I admire accountants and the profession itself. So I decided to study the line of profession with the desire to contribute my part to the growth of the profession.

As the HOD of the department, how do you think you student perceive you


(Smiles) I know the students like the profession just like I do, and they love us as their lecturers. So as the H.O.D I know my students have that respect for me and love me too.



According to my research through questionnaires sent, 90% of the students feel you are strict and unapproachable. Why do you think they feel so?

Well uh, you see naturally accountants have integrity, and students being what they are, not all though, may feel that when you drawing them close, they will be thinking otherwise, which is not true. At least for a student to get the best from a lecturer, you need to be close, and with the way some of our students behave, no lecturer in accounting would want to always bring himself too close to students because of that negative thoughts. As that may be, I don't like getting too close to students, most especially the female students. So I come across as stricts to avoid those kind of scenarios.


Who is your mentor in the profession?

Prof A.R.Anao. He was my H.O.D and vice chancellor, UNIBEN, 1995


Why did you decide to become a lecturer?

Being a lecturer commands a lot of respect and integrity. Well I was a Public Sector Accountant, I felt that then the public sector was fulfilling enough, though the money was there, but there is a difference between Job satisfaction and doing the Job. In the public sector, it's just for you to sign different documents, no challenges, I was just wasting away with my B.Sc professional qualification and master degree. I felt there was a need for me to impact knowledge through the university, rather than sit behind the desk. By the grace of God, I have been doing that and to God be the glory.


Did you ever regret talking that decision?

Not at all
Very Interesting and rewarding (smiles)



What other things to do apart from being a lecturer?

Hmmm apart from being a lecturer, by God's grace I'm a business man. I have small investments, and I also do some contracts that earn me some cash to atleast complement the lecturing job.


Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Well by the grace of God, in the next 5 years, I will still be in academics, but by then I would have been a professor.


What is your advice to students?

Alright... I strongly advice that they should not be discouraged..
There is hope!
Even when there is no job today, there can be jobs tomorrow, and they should continue striving, work harder and the sky would be their limit.
Thank you!

Wow! Thank you sir! It's was indeed a privilege having you on this platform. It has been an eye opener for us.
I hope you had a good read?!
Have a wonderful time today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth About Tom Mcmurrian Of Coin MD

Happy New Month!! November 2018