Exclusive: "I keep my cool, that's one thing I do, I don't react.."- Dr Amos Arowoshegbe of Ambrose Alli University!


Hello😊

I know it's been a while!
Well, today we would be looking into the life of an extremely outstanding man, one whose achievements are a great inspiration! He lectures with an outstanding difference.
Proudly from the stables of Ambrose Alli University!
So relax and enjoy as we get to know more about Dr. Amos!


Name: Dr Amos Arowoshegbe

Date Of Birth: 30th May
State: Lampese, Akoko Edo, Edo state
Occupation: Lecturer
Favourite Quote: learn to always use the three magic words, PLEASE, SORRY and THANK YOU


Tell us a bit more about yourself

My name is Dr Amos Arowoshegbe, associate professor of accounting and finance, I'm happily married to Mrs Elizabeth Amos Arowoshegbe, she is a nurse, director of nursing services in Esako central local government, Fugar, we are blessed with three lovely children, a boy and two girls


Can you tell us how your career in lecturing started 

Lecturing is something I have really loved, i found myself taking a huge liking to it, another reason is because it's the only job I have ever done and found fulfilment and joy in. I actually studied environmental health at first, and I became a lecturer in Edo state school of health technology, Benin city, along the line, I decided to study another course, which was accounting and I started from scratch, that's bsc degree in accounting in UNIBEN, by then I was already married, infact I had my second child the year I gained admission into UNIBEN and in the course of the study I had my baby, who is now an undergraduate. (Smiles)
Then at 200 level I decided to start writing ICAN, started from foundation, and to the glory of God, while I was in my finals, I was preparing for my final exams in ICAN, a year after my graduation, I qualified as a chartered accountant. Afterwards, I felt I should diversify, so I went further and enrolled for my  Masters degree in finance, at the verge of completing this, I enrolled for my Masters in accounting, to avoid any irrelevant questions on why I didn't have a masters in accounting as a Chatered accountant (chuckles) then a Ph.D (smiles) so between 1997 -2012, it was either I was preparing for or rounding off an examination.


How has lecturing been for you?



Very interesting, it's something I do with passion
It makes me really happy(smiles)

Would you say the educational system in the country is  improving greatly?


(Sighs) I have had opportunities for me to go outside the country, and I've seen certain things that are happening there, so to that extent I won't say it is improving, not to even mention improving greatly.

I think there is need for a reform. Reform in curricular, infrastructure, infact reform in everything, so we can be in tune with what is supposed to be. That's the truth, those of us that are lecturers, more often than not, we lecture under stress, even the students themselves learn under stress and the multiplier effect of all that is on the quality of graduates we produce. Like all these programs I did, the government didn't sponsor any, I did It myself, cost and all, and this isn't supposed to be so, so a serious reform should be made, to ensure educational dreams to be achieved.



Would you advice students of this present day, to focus mainly on education alone or have a side hustle along, facts being that there are lesser corporate jobs?


Uh well because of the economic situation in the country, if I give that advice I won't be whole hearted, cause as you work as a lecturer you want to get opportunities to make additional income. They can have a career in lecturing but they also have to look out for opportunities that would be value adding to the lecturing and at the same time increase their income.


As a lecturer, how do you think your student perceive you 

Uh....(smiles) I think my students would be in a better position to answer that but the feelers I have, I think they perceive me in a very good light, especially when I was head of department, like I said it makes me happy to be able to do something for others.



According to questionnaires sent out, the students see you as a phenomenal person, one whose lectures stand out, what do you have to say about that?



To the glory of God! (Chuckles) cause I do lecturing with a passion.



Apart from being a lecturer, what else do you do?

Hmmm like I said I'm a Chatered accountant, we don't scout for business, but whenever we have anyone that is value adding, we don't run away from it.



As a lecturer have you been faced with any controversy and how have you handled it?


What kind?



Any sort sir...


Yes..Based on what I hear people say I guess, um I remember there was a situation where I imaginarily dated a girl, and she made sure everyone around believe that, and I didn't even know her and  I found that really embarrassing.


How did you handle it?

I just kept my cool, that's one thing I do, I don't react easily, I try to accommodate the short coming of others, knowing that I have mine as well.



What do you do for fun or rather how do you relax?

That's the problem I have, I don't relax and it's telling on me, I think it's because of my ICAN days, it was really tight. My relaxation is to have a newspaper or something I'm reading, but I think I really need to relax (smiles)


What's your advice to your student?

My advice to my student is to be determined, focus, the summary is to work like they never prayed and pray like they never worked, and success would be theirs.

Wow! Indeed it's been a wonderful and educative time with you! Thank you sir and we hope your hardwork continues to pay and bring you more fulfilment.
Till next time guys!
Have a wonderful day ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth About Tom Mcmurrian Of Coin MD

Happy New Month!! November 2018